Home Page

Will's Near Death Experience
(Worth reading and check out
the link at the bottom of this page!!)


One day after school, three of my buddies and I decided to go jump The Clam. It was the middle of winter, but with lifeguards cracking down on jumping, this is the "safest" time of the year to avoid being caught.

I was the first and last to make a jump that day. My first mistake was not having a wet suit on...so as soon as I hit the water I was instantly freezing. The water temp that day was about 52 degrees.

My second mistake was not waiting to see how big the surf was that day. Because surf comes in sets, you can show up down here and it can look like a good time to jump, until the sets start coming in.

I needed to get out of there quick or hypothermia could set in. I frantically swam for the reef you have to climb up. You can see me standing on it in this picture. (This picture was taken in the summer)

As I was swimming for it, I realized I wasn't hardly going anywhere, the white caps from the stormy and turbulent ocean kept pushing me down and I found myself only swimming up...and soon as I hit the surface I was only pushed down again and again. After about 3 minutes I made it to the reef and I started to climb up.

A wave hit the cliff and bounced me off the wall, I landed on the reef and was washed back into the ocean. After being dragged down the razor sharp barnacle infested cliff, I tried again and again but was denied. Six times I got washed back into the ocean. I was starting to get really tired and I could feel myself trying to fight back the feeling of the fact that I was starting to "freak out" or go into hypothermia.

By this time, I was extremely tired, cold, hurt and was starting to not think straight. I knew I was in terrible trouble. My three friends stood on the cliff trying to coach me on when to make another attempt, I know they felt so helpless. I swam out to sea a little bit hoping that I could catch my breath, but my arms were starting to give out and I could hardly kick my legs anymore. The world started to blur and I thought for sure this was the end.

Then from nowhere, this red buoy from an illegal lobster trap had floated in and I latched on to it. I hung on to it for about 5 minutes and let the set of waves finish. After the surf had calmed down a little bit, I knew I only had a little time to make it to the reef, climb up the wall and get the hell out of there. I also knew that I only had one last chance at it, otherwise the hypothermia would take me.

My friends signled the last wave of the set, I made the mad dash swim to the reef and I successfully climbed up the cliff before the next set of waves came. I was extremely lucky that day.

This picture is a great view of where I was. The cliff on the left is where you have to climb up. Now keep in mind that this picture was taken in July...and the water is really calm now.

In the wintertime, when the surf hits that reef, it can spray up in the air about 20 to 30 feet like a geyser, sometimes above where those people are standing. The following picture is what that reef looks like in the wintertime.

If you would like to see some video of the surf
in the wintertime, check this link out. It's AWESOME!!!